Monday, October 24, 2016

My choice for Prez

Tick, tick, tick...we are just two weeks away from Election Day, and my husband and I have been researching, planning and praying about how to cast our precious votes for President. Never in our 55 years, have we seen anything like this cycle. It has been challenging to remain hopeful and positive, even for this eternal optimist. The one thing that we are confident about - our country has weathered many difficult storms and we are resilient as a people. The system our forefathers put in place is one we feel good about, and we realize how privileged we are to be able to participate in this democratic, free, and fair process. We've lived in places where this is not the case, and we still think America is the greatest place on earth to live. 

Although I realize I'm not all that influential, I also know that there are many people curious about how their friends and family are viewing this election and our options. It has been quite disturbing to see how divisive this has been, and I have attempted to stay out of the public debate on social media. 

So I thought I'd write about what information influenced me, where I looked for wisdom and to whom I bent my ear. 

What does the Bible have to say? What lens am I viewing this through?

  • Early on, before the primaries, I camped out on this scripture about living together as a body of Christ - James 3:17-18 (The Message version) "Real wisdom, God's wisdom, begins with a holy life and is characterized by getting along with others. It is gentle and reasonable, overflowing with mercy and blessings...you can develop a healthy, robust community [of Christ-followers] that lives right with God and enjoy its results only if you do the hard work of getting along with each other, treating each other with dignity and respect."
  • Then, as the primaries passed and people became very polarized, I started to grieve about how this community of believers was treating each other, not at all like what is described in the scriptures above (at least on social media). I began to feel a passion for the Bride of Christ, the Church, and I want to do my part to beautify Her, not contribute to her demise. In 2 Corinthians 11:2-3, Paul expresses concern about this, too: "I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy. I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him. But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent's cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ."
  • Matthew 24 describes what will happen toward the end of time. It is quite disturbing to read it now in the light of what is happening here in the US. Verses 10 (New International Version) says, "Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold." I feel like maybe our love for each other is no longer a priority for many Christians. 
  • So I began to look for things that presented a conversation about the election that followed these basic principles: dignity, respect, and reasonableness. 
Researching the basics - original sources
I have read the party platforms of the Democrats, Republicans, and Libertarians. I watched the first debate, and part of the second. (Couldn't stomach any more than that.) I've visited the websites of each major candidate and read what they are campaigning for. I have followed the careers of Clinton and Trump for many years. I've learned about Gary Johnson, Jill Stein, and Evan McMullin. 

Listening to the pundits
I keep both conservative talk radio and NPR on speed dial in my car and listen occasionally (and really only occasionally b/c most of the time when either is talking politics, I can't handle too much) to both sides, gleaning what they promote. I've tried to see things from many perspectives. Many of the voices I respected for years sorely disappointed me this time around. Character mattered back when Bill Clinton was doing the dirty in the Oval Office...does it not now? I've had to dig a lot deeper and ask myself what I really believe about the issues, not what my family, friends, or leaders think about them. I generally don't like being put in a box or labeled, and find my politics to be somewhat nuanced. A wise friend (who will likely vote differently from me) also said, "Don't moralize this election. Vote your politics, but don't tell me one candidate is a more moral choice than the other." I whole-heartedly agree. 

Read, watch, listen, and read some more. 
Thanks to social media, I've been able to see lots of blogposts, videos and articles from all kinds of publications that I wouldn't otherwise read. I try to stick to stuff that is reasonable and peaceable. I particularly sought out both Christian and conservative voices that were frustrated with their options, and tired of everyone being so hateful. I avoided anything that was strongly pro-Trump or pro-Hillary. Here is a sampling of things that have influenced me about different issues and ideas:

If you can't tell by now, I prefer less government involvement over more, therefore I take a more conservative view (generally). I was really looking for a reason to vote for one of the two main candidates, but I just couldn't find one. 

Soooo...what to do? 
I am most concerned about standing in front of God one day and giving a reason for why I voted the way I did. My conscience can only let me do one thing: vote for a third party candidate and leave it to God to sort out. Whoever wins the election will have my prayers. 

Let us all be in prayer that God will set in place the leader He wants us to have, for whatever His reasons may be (which may seem strange to you and me). And above all, let those of us who love and serve Jesus be gentle and reasonable with our fellow believers! 

I'll leave you with a final scripture: Romans 13:1 "Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God." We're heading to early voting tonight, and I'm putting my trust in God to handle the details, while I do my part. 

1 comment:

  1. Just reading this now, well past the election, but I have to say, you echo my thought process 100% on this. It really has saddened me to see how the evangelical church has tried to justify support for D.T. But, we often get what we deserve and the next four years could be very scary. We've sold our souls based on some pretty crazy rationale.

    ReplyDelete